Thursday, February 12, 2015

Homemade Cooling Foot Rub for Sore Feet

I am on my feet often and this tends to lead to achy sore feet. My favorite way to relieve my sore feet is with my cooling foot rub. However, I always soak my feet in a foot soak made with Epsom salts first before massaging the rub into my feet for extra pampering relief.

Ingredients Needed

The ingredients needed to make the rub are raw coconut oil, almond oil and essential oils of peppermint, menthol and lavender. I use these oils because they contain anti-inflammatory and natural pain relieving properties. In addition, the peppermint oil and menthol oil provide a soothing cooling sensation while the lavender helps with relieving tension and stiffness within in the feet.

Materials Needed

The materials you will need are some small wide mouth jars, medium sized saucepan and sauce sized scooping serving spoon. You can find these materials at a grocery store, kitchen department store and hardware store if you do not already have them on hand, as I do.

Creating the Healing Foot Product

To create the cooling rub, measure out a cup of coconut oil and two tablespoons of almond oil and place the ingredients into the small saucepan. Next, add in ten drops of peppermint oil, five drops of menthol and ten drops of lavender oil. You may also add in five drops of tea tree oil to if you would like a natural way to fight foot fungus too. However, I like to keep things basic.

Once the ingredients are all measured out, and inside the saucepan, place the pan onto a stove top burner, and melt the ingredients together on low heat until you get a liquid oily mixture. This can take up to five minutes to do. As soon as the ingredients are melted together, remove the oily mixture immediately and scoop them into your wide mouth mason jars using your scooping serving spoon. You may use a funnel for easy clean pouring if you prefer, but the liquid mixture might be too warm so be careful doing it this way if you choose to.

After the jars are filled up with the liquid, place them into the refrigerator on a cookie sheet to become a solid form. Once it is a solid form you can store it at room temperature in a cool dry spot. However, on hot summery days if you do not have air conditioning, you will want to store the rub in the refrigerator because it will melt if the temperature is too hot.

Applying to the Feet

Before applying the foot rub, I always find it is best to soak my feet in a warm toasty foot soak made with Epsom salt or with my favorite vanilla bath bomb from Lush Cosmetics, which is known as the, "Butterball." However, you can use whatever you wish to soak your feet in, or you could choose not to soak your feet if you wish.

After my foot soak, I take my jar of rub and massage some of it into my feet, but I take my time. Sometimes I massage my feet up to twenty minutes for extra comforting relief. You can massage your feet with this rub as long or as little as you would like. As you massage the rub into your feet, you will notice it is cooling and soothing and immediately relieves the aches and pains in your feet right away.

Once the foot massage is complete, I put on a pair of cotton socks and this helps allow the soothing rub to soak into my feet even more for extra relief.

End Notes

The next time your feet are sore and achy massage some homemade foot rub into them for natural comforting relief. Your feet will be happy and you will be happy because your feet will be pain free. If that does not bring you comfort, visit a message therapist or health care professional for more pain relief options.