Saturday, February 14, 2015

Comforting Kumquat Herbal Tea for Relieving Throat Discomforts

Allergy season is my least favorite time of year. It's the season when my throat becomes inflamed with redness and itchiness due to the allergens that tend to irritate it when all the plants decide it is time to bloom with their beauty. I do try and take the time to admire the greenery and vibrant burst of colors that pop on through this season of rebirth, but there are moments when my allergies consume me so much I don't even care what spring appears to be. Instead, I would rather go inside and make some soothing tea, made with kumquat fruits and some freshly dried herbs that help soothe my seasonal condition right 
away.

Natural Ingredients Needed

To make the soothing remedy you will need at least five kumquats, forth cup of dried chamomile and some local raw organic honey. Surprisingly the tasty orange fruits contain vitamin C to help support the immune system along with potent antioxidants of vitamin E and A along with omega fatty acids, which help lessen the severity of allergy symptoms by reducing the inflammation allergens can cause. Chamomile is necessary in this medicinal beverage because it acts as a natural antihistamine and sedative, which is useful for calming the body and the symptoms of sneezing, coughing, wheezing, watery eyes and in my case, that awful red inflamed itchy throat. Honey is simply useful because it too contains properties in it that help reduce the severity of those wonderful spring allergies, and it helps sweeten the remedy up so it is easy and more comforting to drink down. You can find these basic ingredients at your local grocery store if you do not already have them in your kitchen as I do.

Creating the Medicinal Treatment

The way I make the comforting medicinal treatment is by slicing the citrus fruits up into slices and putting them into a medium sized saucepan. Then, I add in five cups of water and the forth cup of dried chamomile. After, I place a lid onto the pot and bring the ingredients to a boil, but as soon as it reaches a boil, I do remove it from the stove and allow the tea to steep for about thirty-minutes to help draw out the healing properties from the fruit and herbs. Once the tea is ready it has a golden color and a sweet and tart citrus floral flavor and aroma. Then, I scoop some of the tea using a serving spoon into a teacup and add in a teaspoon or two of honey to help add in extra benefits and sweetness. After, I take the hot calming beverage to a quiet area to sip down to help relieve my irritate throat and other annoying allergy symptoms. Usually within ten-minutes of sipping on the beverage, I feel relief. However, if you have severe allergies you may not experience complete relief as I do. Your relief may only be temporary as you are sipping on the time. I hope that this is not the case, but everyone's body is different and responds differently to different treatments.

Precautions

If you are allergic to any of the ingredients used in the medicinal remedy I suggest you do not use it unless you speak with a doctor first. You should really speak to a doctor before using any kind of natural remedy to treat any kind of condition, but I can say that from my experiences with this remedy I have not had any major side effects. The only mild one I do get is a bit of drowsiness, which I can cure easily with a good hour nap. If this remedy makes you drowsy, do not drive or operate any kind of heavy machinery. Instead, go rest so you can feel better as soon as possible.