Thursday, February 12, 2015

Sleepy Time Strawberry Syrup for Adults

Insomnia is my worst enemy lately. I have tried over-the-counter medicines to help ease me to sleep, but none of them worked. I have even tried prescription medication too. However, the only remedy that seems to help ease me to sleep is my sleepy time strawberry syrup. The reason why is because strawberries naturally contain melatonin in them, which is a necessary nutrients needed by the body to help ease you into sleep and help you stay asleep.

Natural Ingredients Needed

The ingredients I use to make the remedy are organic strawberries, a cup of honey and a teaspoon of Valerian root tincture. Valerian root contains medicinal properties in it that help calm the mind and ease the body down naturally. You can find the tincture at any herbal shop. You can find the rest of the ingredients at a farm stand or whole food grocery store. I personally like to pick my berries from patches during berry picking season. However, when I cannot find the freshest berries possible I just use organic store bought ones instead and they work just the same.

Creating the Remedy

My favorite way to make up a batch of berry medicine is by placing six cups of sliced berries into a pot with a cup of water and a cup of honey. Then, I place the pot onto the stove burner and cook the ingredients down on medium heat until a deep thick chunky reduction forms. This takes about twenty to thirty minutes. You will know the reduction is ready, because it will coat a metal spoon and stick to it well. Once this part is complete, I allow the reduction to cool down for thirty minutes. After, I strain the chunks from the liquid and pour the liquid into a jar. Next, I add in the Valerian root tincture and combined it in well. After I have my bedtime remedy, which can be stored in the refrigerator until I am ready to take it.

Fighting Insomnia Away

Now, before bedtime I take two to three tablespoons of the remedy. However, you may need more or less depending on weight and height. You can find out the proper dosage you need by talking with a doctor or herbalist first if you are unsure how much is right for you. However, this alternative medicine should not be given to children. This is an adult treatment only, which may work well for your or not. Keep in mind what works well for others may not always work best for you.

Precautions

If any of you are allergic to any of the ingredients used in this alternative treatment, do not use it at all for relieving your insomnia. Overall, I have experienced no side effects. However, my friend does use this remedy and does experience some slight drowsiness in the morning, which she says is cured with a good cup of hot coffee.