Friday, January 2, 2015

Citrus for Soothing Sore Throats



My throat gets dry, scratchy and sore with a burning sensation often due to my severe allergies. A remedy I make and use to help bring comfort to my irritated throat is my citrus throat soothing syrup. It contains many soothing and healing ingredients in it that calm the throat down and bring relief. In addition, the syrup provides the body with a healthy dose of vitamin C and antioxidants needed to boost the immune system and keep inflammation down and allergies at bay. 

Organic Ingredients Needed for the Citrus Throat Soothing Syrup 

The organic ingredients I use to make the citrus throat soothing syrup are a tablespoon of dried elderberries, a forth cup of dried orange peel, a cup of pure freshly squeezed orange juice and two cups of organic raw unprocessed honey. The fresher the ingredients are the more potent I find them to be as a throat soother, immune booster and allergy reliever. 

Reasons the Ingredients are Used 

The reasons I use the ingredients to make the citrus throat soothing syrup, go far beyond the reasons just mentioned. In fact, elderberries help prevent the cold and flu due to the antibacterial and antiviral properties the herb contains and it helps reduce allergy symptoms such as the common runny nose. Elderberries also contain a high vitamin C content, which is always needed to keep all systems of the body healthy. Orange peel and orange juice also contain high amounts of vitamin C and antioxidants as well. Vitamin C is essential for boosting the immune system in order to keep allergies from flaring up causing sore throats, watery eyes, sneezing, a runny nose, stuffiness and sinus headaches. Honey is used because it contains minerals, antioxidants, vitamins, enzymes and soothing properties that bring comfort to a sore irritated throat. Honey also helps relieve allergy symptoms and keeps the immune system healthy too. 

Making the Citrus Throat Soothing Syrup 

The easiest and best way I find to make a potent citrus throat soothing syrup is by pouring the elderberries, dried orange peels and orange juice into a medium sized saucepan. Then, I bring the ingredients to a roaring boil, which helps release the medicinal and soothing healing properties from them. As soon as the ingredients reach a roaring boil, I reduce the heat to simmer and simmer the ingredients for about twenty more minutes. After, the simmering processes I am left with a light brownish liquid in the pan with herbs floating on top. Next, I remove the pan from the stove, strain the herbs from the liquid, pour the liquid into a large wide mouth mason jar, and pour in the honey. After, I mix the honey into the citrus liquid until it is dissolves. Then, I have a soothing citrus throat syrup that needs to cool on the counter top for about two hours. Once the syrup is cooled, I store it in the refrigerator to keep it fresh until I need to take it.

Using the Syrup

Anytime my throat is sore I take about two to three tablespoons of the syrup. Immediately after taking it, I find relief from my sore throat and sometimes even my allergies depending on the severity of them. You can do the same, but if you do not find relief, you can take a couple tablespoons of the syrup every thirty minutes until you find relief. 

However, before you use this remedy it is best you speak with a naturalist doctor or your family doctor before taking it to make sure it is right and safe for you. I have not experienced any side effects from using my home remedy. I have only found relief and comfort. I hope this remedy works well for you too.