Friday, January 2, 2015

Springtime Tonic for Natural Allergy Relief


I was walking through the woods on a lovely spring day and saw pollen floating around in the air. I knew it was time to go home to create a batch of springtime tonic to help prevent my seasonal allergies from flaring up. I am sure many of you go out to the drugstore instead and purchase allergies medicines, but I choose not to use them due to the horrifying range of side effects they can cause me such as drowsiness and migraine headaches. If you decide, you would like to try a more natural way of treating your seasonal allergies this year give this natural remedy a try.

Herbs Necessary to Create Tonic

One of the main herbs I use in this remedy is dried organic licorice root. Licorice root contains anti-allergenic properties to help relief symptoms of hay fever, asthma, wheezing, sinus congestion, coughing, itchy and sore throats and sinus headaches. Another herb I add into the tonic is dried organic chamomile flowers because chamomile contains sedative and antihistamine properties, which helps soothe away dry irritated itchy eyes, chronic sneezing, runny nose, skin rashes, and hives related to an allergic reaction. Elderberry is another important herb that is useful for this natural treatment. Elderberry contains vitamin C and antioxidants that help keep the immune system strengthened so it can battle off allergy symptoms before they start. The last herb I add in is stinging nettle. Stinging nettle contains anti-histamine properties that help treat allergy symptoms when they are flaring up.

Creating the Loose Leaf Blend

Before you can create the medicinal remedy, you must make the loose leaf blend first. To do this you must place a cup of each dried herb into a large glass jar and combine them together with a wooden spoon. Once the herbal blend is ready, you can place a lid onto the jar to seal it up so the blend stays fresh and potent. The best place to store the remedy is in a cool dry dark place such as a cabinet.

Create a Cup

When I make a cup of the tonic to help relieve my allergies, I place two teaspoons of the loose-leaf blend into a small tea mesh-steeping ball and close it up. After, I place the herb filled tea-steeping ball into a small teapot and I pour boiling water into it. Then, I place the lid on the teapot and allow the allergy remedy to brew and steep up a good pot of liquid health to help relieve your allergy symptoms. I usually allow it to steep for about twenty-minutes. After, I pour myself a cup, add a teaspoon of honey and sip it down slowly in a nice quiet place until I find relief. You can drink as many cups of this remedy as needed.

Precautions

Before using this tonic to treat your allergies naturally, it would be best to speak with a doctor or herbalist first to make sure this remedy is safe and right for you. Do not use this natural treatment if you are allergic to any of the herbs in it. Remember this treatment is to help relieve your symptoms and not cause you more allergies. Otherwise, from my experience using this treatment I have found relief, it does work for me and I have not experienced any side effects.